This soup is inspired by the beautiful Swiss chard available in the market right now. With fresh lemon juice and toasty garlic, it couldn't be a simpler way to showcase spring greens. It's also super low cal and vegan although I like to top it with a handful of fresh grated Parmesan occasionally which will melt into the broth...yum. Enjoy people!
Springy Chard and Pasta Soup:
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard roughly chopped
- 1 8 oz package dried gluten free pasta (for this soup I like to use a good Italian brand corn pasta in a fun shape. They tend to hold up well in the broth).
- Juice of one lemon
- 5 cups gluten free vegetable broth
- Himalayan pink or sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- Start by cooking the pasta according to the directions on the package, rinse with cool water to stop cooking and set aside.
- In a large soup pot, saute garlic in the olive oil under medium heat until barely golden. You want to make sure it doesn't brown since it will make the soup a bit bitter. Once the garlic is golden, (about 2-3 minutes), add vegetable broth and heat gently under medium heat.
- Add the chard to the broth mixture and stir until wilted.
- Add the pasta and heat until soup is hot.
- Lastly, stir in the fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh grated Parmesan if desired.