Finally it's warm enough to plant my little herb garden! This salad was born from my love of fresh dill from the garden paired with zesty organic lemon.
I used canned organic chickpeas but if you're feeling ambitious, I'm sure prepared dried would taste even better. So tasty and perfect for a summer picnic or party.
I added a hard cooked organic egg to make it a heartier meal but feel free to leave it out for a vegan option. I like it served at room temp the second day so the flavors meld.
Summer Broccoli and Chickpea Salad:
- 1 head organic broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh organic lemon juice (juice of 1 lemon)
- 1/4 cup fresh dill leaves
- 1/8 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute broccoli florets in 1 TBSP of the olive oil in a saute pan on medium heat until tender but crisp. Add a splash of water to steam along about 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place remaining olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, herbs, salt and pepper and cumin to mini prep or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Toss together chickpeas, broccoli and dressing in a bowl and place in fridge to cool and give flavors a chance to marinate. Add chopped cooked egg to serve if desired.