This artichoke pesto is something I've been making for a few years now. I sooo love anything artichoke related and blended with basil, garlic and lemon makes a perfect base for a creamy, tangy pesto. This can easily be used as a delicious crostini, just spread on toasted bread of your choice and top with a few chopped grape tomatoes...yum!
I mixed the pesto with some prepared gluten free pasta (I used Le Veneziane brand gluten free Pipe Rigate for the photo above) and served it at room temperature. Makes a great bring along vegetarian dish to your July 4th potluck or BBQ! This would also be great as a family meal with some grilled tofu and a fresh green salad.
Happy July 4th!
- 2 cans artichoke hearts in water, drained and woody outer leaves removed
- 1 1/2 cups basil leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, grated (or a mix of Parmesan and Romano)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp lemon rind
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Makes about 1 3/4 cups pesto