Ok so I'm a bad hippie, I've never had a kale salad or kale chips in my life! I do however find kale a super nutritious, versatile and tasty green that I eat almost every day. If you're afraid of kale then this recipe might be the one you try. It's a simple saute using lot's of garlic and Mediterranean flavors tossed with fresh from the garden tomatoes served on top of creamy, organic, gluten free polenta. This dish is so light, summery and comforting, I can't wait to make it again. It also happens to be totally vegan! Enjoy!
Mediterranean Kale and Polenta:
- 3 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 4 cups kale, finely chopped (I use the purple variety)
- 1 large tomato, chopped (heirloom organic if possible)
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 TBSP vegan margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- 2-3 TBSP lemon juice (half a lemon)
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- one batch polenta
For the polenta
- 1 cup polenta (I use De La Estancia which is organic, gluten free and cooks in one minute)
- 3 cups water
- 3 TBSP shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (I use Daiya)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly pour in polenta, whisking constantly. Polenta will thicken quickly and start to pop.
- Turn down heat to low and let thicken for a few minutes, stirring occasionally so as not to stick to the pan.
- Take off heat and stir in cheese and milk, salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
For the kale
- Heat olive oil under medium heat in a saute pan. Add garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Add kale and saute until wilted, 5-6 minutes.
- Add herbs, salt, pepper and lemon juice and stir until juice is absorbed.
- Add margarine and tomatoes and stir just until tomatoes soften a bit, 1-2 minutes
- Scoop kale mixture on top of polenta and garnish with toasted pine nuts