Check out two of my recipes on Rue Magazine! Such a stylish website.
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
I'm just now getting back into the swing of shooting and cooking since my ancient and beloved kitty Daisy passed away. I spent the last two weeks sulking on the couch missing something furry to squish. This recipe was inspired by a trip to the farm stand and seeing some gorgeous fresh corn and Romano beans. I kicked my own butt off the couch and cooked this succotash up as a light and comforting bowl of summer freshness. I recommend using the freshest corn and Romano(Italian broad) beans for this dish although you could use frozen in a pinch.(You could also substitute lima beans for the Romano beans).
- 4 TBSP Earth Balance margarine
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 cups chopped fresh Romano beans
- 1 large ear fresh corn, husk and silk removed
- 8 grape tomatoes chopped
- splash fresh lemon juice
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves chopped
- Boil the corn ear for about 7 minutes, drain and hull into a bowl and set aside.
- Bring the chopped Romano beans to a boil in a small saucepan, turn off the heat and cover. Let stand for about 4 minutes to steam. Drain and set aside.
- Melt 2 TBSP of the margarine in a medium saute pan under medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until golden, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the corn and beans and saute until flavors meld, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining margarine, salt and pepper, basil, lemon juice and tomatoes. Toss just until margarine melts. Serve warm.
Tuesday, August 12, 2014
I do enjoy a refreshing cocktail and have been experimenting with various gluten free vodkas and fruits searching for the perfect summer party drink (someone has to do it!). I'm seeing a lot more vodkas made from potatoes and grapes on the market which is great for us intolerant to gluten. Some say that vodka made from grain does not contain gluten but I prefer to be safe and buy gf!
I splurged on this recipe using peach flavored vodka by Ciroc which is fabulous but you can substitute a less pricey peach flavored vodka if you prefer. Perfect for summer celebrations and taking advantage of farm fresh peaches. Yum!
Yummy Peach Cocktail:
- 2 fresh ripe peaches, peeled and chopped
- 3 TBSP agave nectar
- 1/2 cup Ciroc gluten free peach vodka (or peach vodka of your choice)
- 3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup seltzer
- mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- Puree peaches and agave in a mini food processor and strain to remove pulp. Straining is optional but you will have a chunkier finished product. You should end up with about 1/2 cup puree.
- Place puree, vodka and lemon juice in cocktail shaker and shake to combine.
- Pour into a glass, add seltzer and stir to combine.
- Add ice and mint garnish and enjoy!