Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Vegan Succotash!



























I'm just now getting back into the swing of shooting and cooking since my ancient and beloved kitty Daisy passed away. I spent the last two weeks sulking on the couch missing something furry to squish. This recipe was inspired by a trip to the farm stand and seeing some gorgeous fresh corn and Romano beans. I kicked my own butt off the couch and cooked this succotash up as a light and comforting bowl of summer freshness. I recommend using the freshest corn and Romano(Italian broad) beans for this dish although you could use frozen in a pinch.(You could also substitute lima beans for the Romano beans).

Ingredients
  • 4 TBSP Earth Balance margarine
  • 1/2 small red onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 2 cups chopped fresh Romano beans
  • 1 large ear fresh corn, husk and silk removed
  • 8 grape tomatoes chopped
  • splash fresh lemon juice
  • sea salt and pepper to taste
  • 6-8 fresh basil leaves chopped

Instructions
  1. Boil the corn ear for about 7 minutes, drain and hull into a bowl and set aside.
  2. Bring the chopped Romano beans to a boil in a small saucepan, turn off the heat and cover. Let stand for about 4 minutes to steam. Drain and set aside.
  3. Melt 2 TBSP of the margarine in a medium saute pan under medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until golden, about 5-6 minutes.
  4. Add the corn and beans and saute until flavors meld, about 3 minutes.
  5. Add the remaining margarine, salt and pepper, basil, lemon juice and tomatoes. Toss just until margarine melts. Serve warm.

Serves 2

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear about your cat :( I'm sure he had the best life possible in your loving care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts! I had two beautiful kitty sisters who died this year at 19 years old and they brought tons of joy and smiles to my life.

    ReplyDelete