Happy September! This recipe was inspired by my desire to recreate a classic Italian antipasto dish yet adapting it for a vegetarian, gluten free diet. I've had some delicious white bean salads at Italian restaurants but I wanted to make a more well rounded and hearty dish so it could stand in as an appetizer or main dish. You could even sprinkle this on top of your favorite toasted, gluten free bread for an awesome bruschetta. It has a lush smokiness from high quality provolone and I've used fresh ripe tomatoes from the local farm stand and herbs from my container garden. As usual, I'm way too lazy to prepare dried cannellini beans so I've used organic canned. Please summer...don't go!!
Italian White Bean Salad:
- 2 cans organic cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, minced
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup provolone cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano and basil leaves chopped
- splash balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Blend oil, vinegars, salt, pepper and herbs in a mini prep food processor to combine.
- Toss beans, tomatoes, onion and provolone in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add dressing and stir to coat.
- Let marinate in fridge for at least an hour. Serve at room temp.