This recipe came about when I was gifted a large supply of gold heirloom tomatoes from a friends garden. I wanted to avoid wasting any since they were gorgeous and delicious so I blended up this quick and yummy sauce which can be stored in the fridge for a few days and used in tons of ways. I poured it over some gluten free penne (La Veneziane brand) and fresh zucchini that was sliced and quickly sauteed in olive oil and topped it with some grated Parmesan cheese(which you could leave out to make the dish totally vegan).
I also used the leftover sauce for bruschetta which I tossed with cubed fresh mozzarella and spooned over gluten free bread that was spread with a little olive oil and toasted for 8 minutes in the oven. (I used the Ciabatta rolls from Schar.) An awesome way to capture the fresh flavor of beautiful heirloom summer tomatoes!!
Raw Heirloom Tomato Sauce:
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2-3 large heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- splash balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or mini prep and chop until well blended but still a little chunky.