These babies are easy to make, hold together beautifully and taste amazing! A great way to use up left over mashed potatoes and a lovely holiday dish for the gluten free vegetarians in your family. I topped them with a simple sauce of roasted eggplant, yellow squash, heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil.
The Best Gluten Free Potato Gnocchi:
- 3-4 gold potatoes, peeled, quartered and boiled until tender(10-15 minutes)
- 1/4 cup garbanzo flour
- 1/2 cup potato starch, plus more for work surface
- 1/3 cup finely grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- In a large mixing bowl mash cooled, cooked potatoes with a potato ricer until fairly smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and combine with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms, you may need to add more potato starch until dough is just firm enough to not stick to your fingers.
- Turn dough out onto counter dusted with potato starch and knead gently a few times.
- Split dough into four equal sized pieces and roll into long tubes with your fingers. Tubes should be about the thickness of your thumb. Cut each tube into 1/2 inch pieces and place on waxed paper covered cookie sheets until you are ready to cook them.
- To cook gnocchi, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and drop gnocchi in carefully. Stir gently. Gnocchi are done about a minute or two after they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and toss with a bit of olive oil or Earth Balance to keep them from sticking.
- 1 large eggplant, seeded and cubed
- 2 yellow squash, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 8-10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes, chopped
- 1 TBSP Earth Balance margarine
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Toss cubed eggplant and squash with 2 TBSP olive oil and spread on a cookie sheet evenly. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until softened and lightly golden, tossing half way during cooking. Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, heat remaining olive oil under medium heat and saute garlic until golden, 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, basil, Earth Balance, salt and pepper, roasted veggies and toss until well combined and tomatoes wilt slightly. Earth Balance will melt and thicken the sauce a bit.
- Spoon over gnocchi and top with grated Romano if desired.