This week I've been trying some different indulgent side dishes for Thanksgiving to go with my roasted tofu main dish(see last post). I've always loved broccoli so I came up with this tasty baked gratin with Italian herbs. Feel free to try some different herb and cheese combinations...it's hard to go wrong with this melty and comforting dish!
Broccoli Gratin with Italian Herbs:
- 2 organic broccoli heads, cut into florets
- 3 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 15 oz part skim ricotta cheese
- 2 TBSP lemon juice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs (I use Aleia's Italian)
- handful fresh herbs, minced (I used oregano, basil and parsley)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large shallow saucepan, saute onion in olive oil under medium heat until softened, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute until lightly golden.
- Add broccoli florets and lemon juice and saute until tender but still bright green, about 5-7 minutes, you can add a splash of water to steam it along.
- Turn off heat and add ricotta, herbs, salt and pepper. Spread evenly into a casserole dish and top with mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake covered, for 15 minutes then take off cover and bake for another 10-12 minutes until edges have browned.