This tasty soup appeared in the fall 2014 issue of Go Gluten Free Magazine and makes an awesome opener to a holiday meal. The apple gives a beautiful tart note to the sweet butternut squash. I topped each bowl with a dollop of plain coconut yogurt and a sprig of fresh thyme. So delicious!
Vegan Butternut Squash Apple Soup:
- 6 cups Butternut Squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 2 inch cubes (one medium sized squash)
- 5 cups vegan, gluten free vegetable broth
- 1 organic Fuji apple, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp powdered thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- Plain coconut yogurt and fresh thyme for garnish (optional)
- Saute onion, garlic and bay leaf in a large soup pot in olive oil for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add squash, apple and 4 cups of the broth and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes or until squash is fork tender. Remove bay leaf.
- Let mixture cool for 5-10 minutes and puree in food processor until velvety smooth. You may need to add remaining broth to reach desired consistency.
- Add puree back to soup pot and add salt, pepper and spices and heat gently until hot. Garnish with a dollop of yogurt and thyme sprig if desired.