Every Christmas since I've been gluten free, I have tried to make many of my traditional family cookie recipes with gluten free flours without much luck. I've had cookies come out so delicate and fragile you couldn't breath on them without them turning to dust. I've had what used to be a round cute little ball cookie come out of the oven flatter than a sad pancake.
This year I've experienced a legit Christmas miracle having discovered Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend which you can use cup for cup. So far all of the cookies I've tried with this blend have come out perfect! These delicious rum cookies are my favorite to bake. They have a light, delicate texture and awesome butter cream frosting that can be decorated with your choice of tacky Xmas candy, sparkles or sprinkles. Enjoy and Happy Holidays!
Gluten Free Xmas Rum Cookies:
- 1/2 cup margarine at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 2 TBSP rum or 2 tsp rum extract
- 1/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 2 cups Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend, sifted, plus more for rolling surface
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl cream shortening, margarine and sugar well using electric mixer on medium.
- Add almond extract and rum (or rum extract).
- Gradually blend in almonds, flour and salt.
- Chill the dough for at least 3 hours. Roll out to about 1/4" thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut cookies using floured cookie cutters. I use a spatula to remove the shapes and place them on the baking sheets since the dough is rolled quite thin.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool completely before frosting with butter cream frosting (recipe below). Decorate as desired.
- 1/4 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP milk
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Blend in vanilla and add milk gradually until frosting is the right consistency for spreading.
- Divide frosting into four smaller bowls and blend in a few drops of food coloring to each bowl if desired.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies