I'll admit, I have more than my share of kitchen mishaps and cooking disasters. I would say it's an integral part of my creative process to burn/over cook/set ablaze or generally ruin a dish every now and then (a lot). That being said,I was glad I was alone in my kitchen when this little dish was being created. There was some pretty intense cursing and a ceiling covered in hot soup by the end of it(that liquid fill line on the food processor is there for a reason apparently!). But thankfully, this bisque came out super tasty and rich, even with the addition of low fat Greek yogurt in place of the usual heavy cream.
This gluten free, low fat and vegetarian soup would be a great appy for a holiday feast. Enjoy!
New Hippie Shroom Bisque:
- 1 1/2 pounds mixed mushrooms, washed well and sliced(I used half white mushrooms, half mixed wild mushrooms)
- 1 large shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 TBSP butter
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 5 cups gluten free vegetable broth
- 2 cups low fat Greek yogurt(at room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- In a large saucepan, saute shallots in olive oil and butter under medium heat for 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and continue to saute until mushrooms become tender, about 7 minutes. At this point take about a cup of mushrooms out and set them aside to add texture to the bisque.
- Stir in broth, sherry, thyme, salt and pepper and lower heat a bit. Simmer the soup for about 10-15 minutes for flavors to meld. Turn off heat and let sit for about 10 minutes to cool a little.
- In a food processor or blender, blend soup in batches with yogurt and mustard until smooth.
- Add soup with reserved mushrooms back to saucepan and heat gently until hot. Garnish with fresh thyme and white truffle oil if desired.