So with the major deep freeze we have here in the Northeast, I thought I would put up a bowl of comforting warmth for my weekly recipe. This dish came about when I was looking for a lower carb alternative to my fave mashed potatoes so I tried using cauliflower and they came out awesome! These are so creamy and tasty, you would never guess they were made without potatoes. They key to getting a perfect texture for the mash is to get as much moisture out of the steamed cauliflower as possible before blending so they don't get watered down. I usually just press them on some paper towels before I toss them in the food processor. Time to curl up on the couch with a warm blanket and a bowl of this mash topped with your favorite gravy or grated cheese...so yummy!
- 1 large head organic cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 3-4 TBSP organic milk or soy milk
- 2 TBSP Earth Balance margarine
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground thyme
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Fill a large saucepan with water and bring cauliflower to a boil. Turn off heat and cover. Steam cauliflower for about 6 minutes until tender but not mushy.
- Drain cauliflower well and spread on paper towels to soak up extra water.
- Place in cooked cauliflower in food processor with remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Start with 3 TBSP milk and add more as needed to get a creamy consistency. Top with more margarine, gravy or grated cheese.