For those of us living in the Northeast, this is the time of year when the 'snow crankies' kick in. This is my term for when most of us get slightly irritable after countless snow storms ruin our plans and commutes. For me it also steels my resolve to migrate to a warmer climate asap! Although a bowl of this yummy and comforting soup I created does take the edge off! Along with a stockpile of red wine and binge watching those tv shows I've been wanting to catch up on. Enjoy the warmth!
Vegan Red Lentil Soup:
- 2 TBSP coconut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 lb organic red lentils, rinsed well and drained
- 5 cups water(plus more for thinning)
- 1 cup vegan, gluten free broth
- 1/8 tsp ground cumin
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in coconut oil under medium heat for 2-3 minutes until golden.
- Add lentils along with water, broth, salt and pepper. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for about 35-40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes to keep lentils from sticking.
- When lentils have broken up and soup becomes creamy, add lemon juice, cumin and parsley and simmer for an additional ten minutes until flavors meld. You may need to add a little more water to reach desired consistency.