This recipe came about when I had a fridge full of baby kale to get rid of and not a lot of time. You would never guess this creamy dish is totally vegan and gluten free! It's so comforting and yummy. I used this as a side dish and the next night, tossed it with some gluten free pasta for a main dish. Enjoy!
Vegan Creamed Kale:
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 TBSP Earth Balance spread
- 1 10 oz bag organic baby kale, roughly chopped
- 1 16oz package organic silken tofu
- 1 large shallot, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Place chopped kale in a large saucepan and fill with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes until wilted. Drain well and press between paper towels until most of the water is drained. Place kale back in saucepan and set aside.
- In a small saute pan, heat up olive oil and Earth Balance under medium heat. Saute shallot until translucent but not browned, about 5-6 minutes.
- In a mini prep or food processor, place tofu, sauteed shallot, nutmeg, salt and pepper and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Add cream sauce to kale and heat gently under low heat until hot. Season to taste.