Yay it's finally Spring! Can't wait until everything turns lush and green again. I make this frittata pretty often but when you can get your paws on some young tender asparagus (why did that sound pervy?) this dish can't go wrong. Perfect for brunch or a light dinner and super easy to make. Enjoy and Happy Spring!
Spring Asparagus Frittata:
- 6 organic farm eggs
- 1 small bunch asparagus, washed, woody stems removed and cut into 2" pieces.
- 1 TBSP Dijon mustard
- 1 TBSP minced fresh chives
- 1 small shallot minced
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 cup Fontina cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs lightly. Mix in mustard, chives, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a 10"oven proof skillet, saute shallots in oil for 2 minutes under medium heat until softened. Add cut asparagus and saute for another 6 minutes until asparagus is tender but still bright green. Use wooden spoon to arrange asparagus so they are evenly spread around the pan.
- Pour egg mixture over asparagus and gently push eggs around with the spoon so they cook. When the eggs are mostly set but the top still has an uncooked layer (about 5 minutes), sprinkle the cheese evenly over the eggs and place in the heated oven. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until eggs are completely cooked and cheese has melted.