Spring Potato Soup with Asparagus:
- 8 medium organic red potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 TBSP organic pasture butter, salted (or Earth Balance for vegan version)
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup gluten free vegetable broth
- 1 cup organic low fat milk (or unsweetened plain rice milk for vegan version)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- dash ground thyme
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, rinsed, woody ends removed and chopped
- 1 TBSP lemon rind
- 1 TBSP fresh chives chopped
- Boil peeled and cut potatoes in a large saucepan filled with water until tender or when a knife comes out easily, about 12-15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Saute onions in 3 TBSP butter for 5-6 minutes under medium heat until translucent but not browned.
- In a food processor, blend potatoes, onions in butter and thyme with milk until smooth. Gradually add the broth, a little at a time until you reach desired consistency. Add puree to large sauce pan and add salt and pepper. Heat gently under low heat until hot.
- While the soup is heating, saute the asparagus and lemon rind in 1 TSP butter until tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes. Add chives and season with more salt and pepper.
- Serve soup hot garnished with asparagus.